Friday, January 25, 2008

Library, Meet Jobless

I got my very first DC library card yesterday. i wanted to get out of a weird funk from a very complicated week of ups and downs... you know, when you don't know which direction to go next. so i went to library. I showed my Nexflix envelop to prove my address and picked out the "adventure" style library card, though I saw too late that I could have chosen a green frog "hop into your local library" design. i asked a lot of stupid questions... "how do I find a book, some sort of decimal system?" and "does this mean I can reserve books online?" I imagined the librarian pegging me for a youngster from the digital age who's never entered a library, and wondered if we're only ten years away from this being a reality. I picked out a book I've wanted to read but haven't since I don't have a pay check to split with Kramers, as I used to. an acrid blend of sweat, body odor and something coveted deeply for years by the carpets filled all porous space including my new coat. a small price to pay for free literature.

I got a job this week, or a "gig" to be more appropriate, for march. I've been asked a lot by friends what this means for Jobless Girl in DC. I reply hastily that absolutely nothing has changed, this isn't a real job, I have to get projects to stay jobless, yada yada, don't you get it? obviously, it's complicated. A jobless manifesto should clarify everything... yes, yes... it's time.

No comments: