Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Love Affair with Tryst


This is my third consecutive day at Tryst, so it seems only right that I give a "hell yeah!" to it's existence as a damn-fabulous coffee shop and a place I could visit nearly every single freaking day if I wanted to.

Let me tell you--When I moved here from Seattle five years ago, I swore that if I couldn't find a respectable place to call my 'coffee home', I was gonna get the hell out of this crummy town before my three-month employment commitment was over. No joke... good coffee is much more important to us Northwesterners than you could possibly imagine... more important than some silly JOB. As luck would have it, I squatted with friends on Biltmore and Columbia in my first week and my tryst with Tryst (could I avoid the pun?) began. It was exactly the magical, caffeinated dream I sought: Cozy ambiance; a perfect work space for students and writers; a neighborhood joint; and damn fucking good coffee.

Here are the top ten reason I love Tryst:
1. Cappuccinos
2. The Portia sandwich (heavan)
3. Everything served with Nutella
4. The Cuban Coffee
5. That orange juice and cardamom infusion tea thing (so classy!)
6. Chai Tea Latte (the best in the city; only the fallen Sparky's could challenge it)
7. Iced Green Tea (garnished with a piece of pineapple)
8. Lemon Poppyseed waffle
9. All the other waffles
10. I can sit for as long as I goddamn please

Despite your pissyness about Tryst---how damn impossible it is to get a seat, confusing table service, how easy it is to feel ignored or forgotten, and your issues with it being "sceney"--I will argue that you need to get your issues and your shit together.

My tips: Go during the day, know what you want, waive to your waiter when you want something else or the check (they prefer it to reading your mind), and smile. (It's hard for the waiters, too... just so you know.)

Here's an apt pledge from their website:
"The French have their cafes, the English their pubs, the Greeks their tavernas and bodegas; what do we have in America? Somewhere between home and work we all need a ‘third place’ to go -- where we can escape the stresses of everyday responsibilities but still connect (with high speed internet access if you choose) to the outside world. Tryst is defining that third place for us."

In case you didn't realize the additional and crucial (in my case) true brilliance of Tryst COFFEE: Tryst serves Counter Culture Coffee, which is one of the most respected coffee rosters on the East Coast that delivers to all the top coffee counters in D.C.--such as Murky, Big Bear and Dolcezza. Counter Culture epitomizes sustainable and artisanal coffee as a company motto. David Fritzler of Tryst works diligently to select the best crafted coffees for your Tryst consumption, which are brewed to perfection every time. And lets talk dirty about the espresso: the perfect pull of the shot, savory and sweet creme, the exact temperature for silky-smooth froth in the milk-based drinks... like a tall, hot drink of milk that you never saw coming because you had no clue what real, sultry, naughty coffee pleasure was in the first place....

Plus, I love the staff! Can I give a shout out to Aya, David, Kat, Stephanie, Orlando, and Jocelyn! They've been there at least five years or more--as long as I can remember--and they know their shit.

So don't crowd my space, but let's give some proper cred to Tryst.

6 comments:

Violeta said...

Yeah! We love Tryst. It's being a second home for me and Robb here in DC, a place to read, relax, talk and have damn good coffee.

Tim said...

elliot bay and pegasus coffee on bainbidge are my favorite seattle places. tryst is pretty great for dc though. not sure how people-watching didn't make it onto the top 10 list!

good post. i see we both appreciate the good things about this place. and i also hate the haters.

Jobless said...

yes, I love the tryst love!

and OMG I love elliot bay... I stop each time I'm in town. My two other musts are Vivace on Capital Hill and Zoka near Green Lake.

I actually don't like to people-watch... it often leads to accidental eye contact and date proposals when I'm just there to read my damn book. a girl thing? But I do like to eavesdrop--that could have made the list....

City Girl DC said...

I love Tryst too except on a weekend night (my issues with Adams Morgan on Fri/Sat night). I would go everyday for the Cuban coffee if I lived closer!

HomeImprovementNinja said...

I live in columbia heights. have you tried Mayorga, or Columbia Heights coffee?

Jobless said...

I like what Mayorga does... roasts it's own coffee, buys from sustainable growers... the drinks, the food... I remember first reading about it and being very excited. My coffee was burnt and had grounds in it, so I haven't really been back. If I lived in the area, I might go anyway. I plan to try it again and also try another place I learned of in Columbia Heights... Stay tuned.