Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Bad Smell in the Apartment that Won't Go Away

I'm nearly positive something died in my apartment a few days ago because I could smell a pungent, death-scent every time I walked past the door to our home office on the way to the loo. JBO is in Australia playing with koala bears and I'm stuck here dealing with dead, bloated carcases. That outburst was "anger" three days ago, followed by "denial" on Sunday when I played bocce ball all day, then at last "acceptance" yesterday when I got a friend to come over and stand there in case I freaked out at the sight of rotted rat guts. We looked everywhere. This is the longest time I've been alone in this apartment - 3 weeks - and I (of course) wonder what this incident says about me, my self-sufficiency and general ability to be alone. I suspect that months of working alone in the apartment all day is advancing a disconnectedness that is getting exceptionally morbid, especially when evenings alone and dead bodies are added. For example, I wonder if I'm in a weird horror film where the star will eventually find HERSELF dead and bloated under the floor!!! But seriously, I don't think all this alone-time is good for me, and yet, I love it. The cat laid next to me the whole night and whenever I opened my eyes, her head was up... which was obviously a sign of someone in the apartment or something diabolical happening, so I didn't sleep. Today I cleaned out the whole apartment and I still can't find where the smell is coming from!

1 comment:

Carla said...

You have to know how to manage these things because there are situations that have to be solved, like a bad smell. I remember once I was in a buenos aires apartment when I rented it for 2 weeks and suddenly I started smelling a very nice pleasant smell that came from my neighbour´s apartment. It was a cake that she baked every day at 6pm. So my problem was that i felt tempted every time I smelled it. therefore, I had to knock her door and ask her to close out the windows so that tasty smell would not enter my flat. It was hilarious. She ended up giving me a piece to try it!