Friday, May 30, 2008

It's No Act, I Need a Job

I'm sitting at the airport because I missed my flight this morning (I
know, retarded) and just read an article in today's NYT's about the
crazy things people are doing to get a job. Listen to this: "Japanese
culture tells you not to brag; in the U.S., interviewing for a job
means bragging about yourself and I am not comfortable doing that."
That's what I was saying! Does anyone else feel this way? The article
also gives some scary statistics on job scarcity and how to "stand out
and differentiate yourself." It's some interesting advice.

1 comment:

HomeImprovementNinja said...

One of the helpful things that our career services office did at school was videotape mock interviews for the students.

If you have a friend with a video camera, it's good to practice this way because sometimes you do things when you are nervous that you don't realize (you say "umm" or "like" too many times; you fidget in your chair; you slouch. THink of it like sparring practice before a big boxing match.